The mission of the Office of Secretary of State is to enhance commerce, ensure integrity of the electoral process, and to preserve certain historical documents essential to our State while providing prompt quality service to the businesses, voters, and citizens of West Virginia.
To effectively and efficiently connect state government to the citizens of West Virginia.
All members of the Office of the Secretary of State have a role in making government responsive to the needs of the people. Together, we embrace the values of respect, honor, integrity, and personal commitment to public service.
Each and every employee is dedicated to continual improvement, professional competency, and honorable service.
The West Virginia Secretary of State’s Office will become and remain a role model for all other entities within our state government. We will draw upon the talents, leadership, and resources of our employees while being mindful that tasks must be successfully completed to earn and maintain the public’s trust and confidence.
The West Virginia Secretary of State’s Office works as a team in all that we do to:
- Provide transparency at every level of government;
- Enhance commerce and economic development by providing accurate and reliable online registration processes for the state’s business sector;
- Work with other state and federal agencies to reduce costly duplication in order to create more efficient business-friendly processes;
- Provide sound and reasoned legal counsel and recommendations to the Legislature;
- Establish a stable and open government by providing reliable access to all public information;
- Account for every expenditure and every financial transaction while working together to realize cost savings wherever and whenever possible;
- Securely and accurately document and preserve the history of our state;
- Protect and enhance our democracy by working with local officials to provide fair and accurate elections, as well as an inclusive political process; and
- Advance the goals and objectives of our state government as set forth by our Legislature that represents the people of the Great State of West Virginia.
Every member of our staff plays an important role in the overall success of our Office.
Working together, we will be a leader in providing prompt, reliable, and accurate services to the public we serve.