Home | Business4WV | News Center
FacebookFollow Secretary Tennant on Twitter Subscribe to Secretary Tennant's Videos on VimeoUstream   Font size: A-  A  A+

 Important Information For Overseas Voters: West Virginia To Hold Special Election For Governor in 2011


    On Tuesday, October 4, 2011, West Virginia will hold a special general election for Governor to fulfill the unexpired term.  The vacancy was created when former Governor Joe Manchin won election to the United States Senate.  This is a statewide general election.  

    Voting Assistance Officers should contact any West Virginia voters and inform them of this news release and assist them in requesting and returning their absentee ballot.

Register to Vote

    To vote in this election you must register by submitting a post-marked Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) or a West Virginia Voter Registration Application. West Virginia allows you to email or fax the FPCA, but if this is your first time registering to vote in a particular West Virginia county, you must mail the original FPCA.  Mailed Voter Registration applications must be post- marked and sent to the local county clerk by September 13, 2011. Voter Registration Applications transmitted by other methods must be received by the county clerk no later than close of business September 13, 2011.

Request Your Ballot Now!

    You may also use the FPCA to request an absentee ballot.  Go to FVAP.gov and get started! It only takes a few minutes! Alternately you may obtain an FPCA from your unit or installation voting assistance officer and at U.S. embassies and consulates worldwide; but you must follow the West Virginia instructions given at FVAP.gov. Indicate on the FPCA how you would like to receive your absentee ballot, by mail, email, or fax. You will not receive a ballot automatically, even if you voted in the November 2, 2010 general election.

    If you are already registered to vote, the deadline for submitting an FPCA to request a ballot is September 28, 2011, or 6 days before the election.

Send the FPCA by Email, Fax or Mail

    If you choose to email your FPCA, you should send the form to the email address listed for your county clerk at www.wvsos.com . If you choose to fax your FPCA, fax the form to the fax number listed for the county clerk’s office where you reside.  You may also use the DoD Electronic Transmission Service to fax your FPCA toll-free. To use the Electronic Transmission Service, use the cover sheet available in the Voting Assistance Guide, or at FVAP.gov, and fax to: (703)-693-5527,  DSN 223-5527,  or toll-free from the U.S., Canada, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands to 1-800-368-8683. International toll-free numbers can be found at FVAP.gov. Voter Alert Telephone: 703-588-1584 E-mail: vote@fvap.gov

Receive Your Ballot

    If you request a ballot be mailed to you, it will be sent on or around August 19, 2011. If you request a ballot to be emailed, you will receive an email with log on instructions and a link to your ballot. You will then be able to mark your ballot online and download a ballot package to be returned by email, fax, or mail. If you request a ballot by fax, the ballot will be sent to the fax number you supplied on your absentee ballot application.

PLEASE NOTE: Be sure you include a fax number or email address on your absentee ballot application.

Return Your Ballot

    Your voted ballot must be postmarked by October 4, 2011 and must be received by October 11, 2011, in order to be counted.

    Civilians residing outside the U.S.: Contact your closest U.S. Embassy or consulate for specific instructions on how voted ballots, with proper domestic postage attached, can be returned to the United States from any U.S. embassy or consulate. To locate your nearest U.S. embassy or consulate, visit http://www.usembassy.gov/.

    If a voter is concerned about not receiving their ballot in time to vote, they may use the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB, SF-186). The FWAB instructions are available at www.FVAP.gov. The FWAB is also available in embassies and consulates and military installations around the world.

Additional Information

    State specific information on precincts, candidates, elections, and voting is available at

    FVAP is currently seeking public input on the redesign of forms used in registration, ballot request and voting. If you would like more information go to http://www.fvap.gov/global/news/nr6-2011.html.

    FVAP can be contacted via 1-800-438-8683. Citizens may reach FVAP toll-free from 67 countries by using the toll-free numbers listed on the FVAP website, http://www.fvap.gov/contact/toll-free-phone/index.html.  Questions regarding the above may also be referred to the Director, Federal Voting Assistance Program, Department of Defense, 1155 Defense Pentagon, Washington, DC, 20301-1155, vote@fvap.gov, and on the World Wide Web at www.fvap.gov.


Elections Division of the West Virginia Secretary of State's Office
(304) 558-6000