Charleston, W.Va. – Despite a State of Emergency, the 2014 Candidate Filing Period will begin on Monday, January 13, 2014.
That’s when those wishing to run for many statewide and federal offices in 2014 can begin filing their paperwork and paying their filing fees.
Those wishing to see who is running for office can watch it all unfold, thanks to a live webcast on the Secretary of State’s website.
The Secretary of State’s Office will also be listing those who become candidates during the filing period, which ends at midnight on January 25, on a webpage that will be updated in real time.
“We are making sure the people of West Virginia can see what is going on inside the State Capitol, with no filter,” Secretary of State Natalie E. Tennant said. “This is the third time we have webcast candidate filing, and the citizens of our state have come to expect this level of transparency from this office and even candidates try to make sure they’re going to be here during a webcast so their family and friends can see them.”
The schedule for the live webcast is as follows:
- Monday, January 13: 8:30AM to 5:00PM.
- Tuesday, January 14-Friday, January 17: 10:00AM to 2:00PM.
- There is no candidate filing in the Secretary of State’s Office on Saturday, January 18 and Sunday, January 19. However, candidates may still mail in their candidate form and filing fee on these dates.
- Monday, January 20-Friday, January 24: 10:00AM to 2:00PM.
- Saturday, January 25: 10:00AM to midnight.
To watch the live webcast and to see the continuously updated list of candidates, click on the links at the top of the Secretary of State’s webpage at www.wvsos.com.
The webcast will also be available on mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone. However, it is recommended viewers connect to a wifi signal due to the high quality of the webcast and its potential to consume large amounts of cellular data.
Candidate forms and filing fees must be accepted in the Secretary of State’s Office or postmarked by midnight on January 25, 2014.