How to File for Office
What offices are on the ballot in 2016?
See Offices on the Ballot
for a list of federal, state, and county offices on the ballot in 2016.
When may I file to run for office?
January 11, 2016 - midnight, January 30, 2016
Candidate filing will be available during regular business hours at each filing office. Your certificate of announcement must be received or postmarked by midnight, January 30, 2016.
What form do I use to file for office?
You will use the 2016 Candidate Certificate of Announcement for federal, state, and county. When this form is available, you may find it on our Candidate Forms page
Where do I submit my Candidate Certificate of Announcement?
- Secretary of State: candidates for Federal offices, State Senate and House of Delegates, all judicial offices except magistrate, and those running for an office in more than one county.
- County Clerk: candidates for an office which is entirely within one county.
- Municipal Recorder: candidates for a municipal office.
WV Secretary of State's Office
Building 1, Suite 157-K
1900 Kanawha Blvd, E.
Charleston, WV 25305
County Clerk Contact Information
Municipal Recorder or Clerk Contact Information
Make sure your filing is complete:
- Be sure to submit it to the appropriate filing officer (above).
- Make sure the form is properly notarized.
- Pay the required filing fee.