Campaign Finance Reporting System
The Campaign Finance Reporting System (CFRS) was designed to allow candidates and committees to file their financial reports in an efficient and accessible online method.
Campaign Finance Reporting System Login Page
Who can use CFRS?
Candidates for the following offices are required to use the CFRS to file their financial reports:
- Secretary of State
- Attorney General
- Commissioner of Agriculture
- Supreme Court of Appeals
The following groups have the option to either utilize the CFRS or turn in paper financial reports:
- WV State Senator Candidates
- WV House of Delegates Candidates
- Judicial candidates (except magistrate)
- Political Action Committees
The following groups cannot currently gain access to the online system, however, eventually the system will be extended to include all financial filings:
- All county-wide offices including non-partisan positions
- All municipal offices
- Federal PAC's do not submit their financial reports to the state of West Virginia - they are responsible for filing with the Federal Election Commission.
What are the Benefits of Using the CFRS?
- You may enter contributions and expenditures at any time during your campaign
- Your information automatially saves
- The system checks what you enter for errors and does not allow you to enter information in the wrong fields
- All the math is done for you
- The end product is easy-to-read and concise
- You may instantly submit your financial report through on click-of-the-mouse
- You can easily amend your reports if you make a mistake
- Less paper work and instant access = more efficient government
- It is more environmentally sustainable
How do I get access?
If you are one of the eligible candidates or committees listed above, then fill out the appropriate form below. Eligible candidates may also select to use CFRS on their pre-candicacy form.
- CFRS Online Authorization form for Candidates (PDF)
- CFRS Online Authorization form for PACs (PDF)
After you have filled out the form, print, sign (you may also use an electronic signature), and return the form to the West Virginia Secretary of State's Office:
WV Secretary of State
Attn: Elections Division
Bldg 1., Suite 157-K
1900 Kanawha Blvd. E.
Charleston, WV 25305-0770
Attn: Elections Division
Fax Number: 304-558-0900
We will then promptly assign you a username and password, which will be sent to the treasurer's email address that you list on the authorization form.
Tips for using the system
- Please keep note of your username and password and save them in a secure place
- Contact our office at 304-558-600 if you lose your username and password
- Go to the Forgot Your Password page if you forget your password
- You will need a new username and password for every election cycle. For example, if you are running for the WV House of Delegates every two years, then you will have a new CFRS account every two year
- If you are unsure of how to use the online system, call us at 304-558-6000 and ask to speak with a Campaign Finance Specialist in the Elections Division.
- If you are already logged into the system, you may click the "Help" link in the top right-hand corner of the page - there you will find an instruction guide and links to help with particular issues.
- Use the following link to find out more about contributions, expenditures, and loans at: Campaign Finance General Instructions.