Renewing an Individual Security Guard License
Remember, if you decide to employ or allow any other person to assist with security guard work in the coming year, you must first obtain a firm license.
Follow these steps:
- Make sure your business registration is up to date. You will need to provide a photocopy of the registration from the State Tax Department.
- Get the application form and follow the instructions for the fingerprint requirement. Use one of the following methods:
The online form requires the Acrobat Reader. You can fill it out on screen, then print. If you start with a printed form, please type or print in ink and make certain every entry is legible.
- Get one new photograph, or have one taken at the Secretary of State's Office when you submit your renewal application if you want it to appear on your license. Old photographs from our file will not be used. Photos must be passport size color photos taken by a photographer, preferably on a colored background, such as light blue or gray. Attach one photo to your application.
- Renew your surety bond and obtain a renewal certificate or continuation to submit with your application. If your surety company will not renew your bond, you must obtain a new surety bond.
- Pay the fee. A $50 non-refundable processing fee is included in the fee. If your license is denied, the remainder will be refunded. The license is for one year.
- $150 West Virginia Resident
- $550 Non-Resident of West Virginia
- Submit your application, references, surety bond, business registration and fee to:
Secretary of State
1900 Kanawha Blvd. East
Building 1, Suite 157-K
Charleston, WV 25305