Basic Requirements for All Licensees Regardless of whether you intend to apply for an individual or firm license, as a private investigator or security guard, there nine basic requirements which apply to all applicants.
- For a firm, these basic requirements apply to all officers, member or partners, and all employees who will conduct business. Be at least 18 years old or older.
- Be a citizen of the United States, or an alien legally residing in the United States.
- Be of good moral character.
- Have not had a previous private investigator or security guard license revoked or denied in West Virginia or any other state.
- Have not been declared incompetent by a court because of a mental defect or illness.
- Do not suffer from narcotics addiction or dependence or habitual drunkenness.
- Have not been convicted of a felony in this state or any other state or territory.
- Have not been convicted of any of these crimes:
- Illegally using, carrying or possessing a pistol or other dangerous weapon; Making or possessing burglar's instruments; Buying or receiving stolen property; Entering a building unlawfully; Aiding an inmate's escape from prison; Possessing or distributing illicit drugs; or Any misdemeanor involving moral turpitude or for which dishonesty of character is a necessary element.
- Have never: Engaged in the private investigation or security guard business without a license;
- Transferred my license to an unlicensed person or subcontracted with an unlicensed person or firm to conduct investigations or security guard business;
- Employed anyone to conduct investigations or security guard business who was in violation of any of the prohibitions or requirements of law;
- Falsely represented that I am or any other person is licensed as an investigator or guard; Made any false report with respect to any matter relating to my employment;
- Divulged any information obtained from or for a client without express permission; Knowingly accepted employment to obtain information intended for illegal purposes; or Authorized another person to violate the law or rules.
- Select the type of license you are seeking and review the eligibility requirements for that particular license: Private Investigator License Security Guard License