Renewing a Private Investigation Firm License
Follow these steps:
- Make sure your business registration is up to date with the State Tax Department. You must provide a photocopy of your current business registration certificate.
- Get the application form and follow the instructions for the fingerprint requirement. Use one of the following methods:
The online form requires the Acrobat Reader. You can fill it out on screen, then print. If you start with a printed form, please type or print in ink and make certain every entry is legible.
- Get one new photograph for the qualifying agent, or have one taken at the Secretary of State's Office when submitting the renewal application if you want it to appear on the agent's license. Old photographs from our file will not be used. Review your files to make sure you have current photos of all persons conducting security guard business in West Virginia under your firm license. Photos must be passport size color photos taken by a photographer, preferably on a colored background, such as light blue or gray. Attach one photo to your application.
- Renew your firm's surety bond and obtain a renewal certificate or continuation to submit with your application. If your surety company will not renew your bond, you must obtain a new surety bond.
- Pay the fee. A $50 non-refundable processing fee is included in the fee. If your license is denied, the remainder will be refunded. The license is for one year.
- $250 West Virginia Company
- $550 Non-Resident Company
6. Submit your application, references, surety bond, current business registration and fee to:
Secretary of State
Bldg. 1, Suite 157-K
1900 Kanawha Blvd. East
Charleston WV 25305