Renewing a PI Firm License
Follow these steps:
- Make sure your business registration is up to date with the State Tax Department. You must provide a photocopy of your current business registration certificate.
- Get the application form and fingerprint cards. Use one of these ways:
- Download the application form and request fingerprint cards by e-mail or
- Call (304) 558-8000 to request an application packet.
The online form requires the Acrobat Reader. You can fill it out on screen, then print. If you start with a printed form, please type or print in ink and make certain every entry is legible.
- The renewal fingerprint cards must be official West Virginia fingerprint cards -- no substitutes. You will need cards for your qualifying agent, for officers, members or partners of the firm, and for each employee who will conduct security guard business under the firm's license. Taking clear fingerprints is difficult, therefore,we urge you to go to your local law enforcement detachment and have them take the prints. If you live out of state, request the card and go to your local law enforcement office for assistance. Be sure each card is completed fully and signed or it will come back to you and cause delays. The authorization on the back of the card must be signed.
- Get one new photograph for the qualifying agent, or have one taken at the Secretary of State's Office when submitting the renewal application if you want it to appear on the agent's license. Old photographs from our file will not be used. Review your files to make sure you have current photos of all persons conducting security guard business in West Virginia under your firm license. Photos must be passport size color photos taken by a photographer, preferably on a colored background, such as light blue or gray. Attach one photo to your application.
- Renew your firm's surety bond and obtain a renewal certificate or continuation to submit with your application. If your surety company will not renew your bond, you must obtain a new surety bond.
- Pay the fee. A $50 non-refundable processing fee is included in the fee. If your license is denied, the remainder will be refunded. The license is for one year.
- $250 West Virginia Company
- $550 Non-Resident Company
7. Submit your application, fingerprints, references, surety bond, current business registration and fee to:
Secretary of State
Bldg. 1, Suite 157-K
1900 Kanawha Blvd. East
Charleston WV 25305