Applying for Athlete Agent Registration
Before making any contact with a student-athlete relating to a possible agency contract, a person must register with the Secretary of State. The registration will be valid for two years, and may be renewed. Follow these steps:
- Read the application carefully. Giving materially false or misleading information on the form is a misdemeanor crime and may result in rejection of the registration application or later termination of the registration.
- Download the application form or request a copy of the application form from the Secretary of State:
by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
by telephone at (304) 558-8000
by fax at (304) 558-5758, or
by mail to :
Attn: Athlete Agent Registration
Secretary of State
Bldg. 1, Suite 157-K
1900 Kanawha Blvd. East
Charleston, WV 25305-0770
- Complete the form and return with the fee of $50 for initial registration payable to the Secretary of State.
- DO NOT approach any student-athlete until you receive a confirmation of your registration or a temporary registration from the Secretary of State.
- Before doing business as an agent in West Virginia, make sure you have completed all business registration requirements. If you are operating as a sole proprietorship or general partnership, register with the State Tax Department. If you are operating as a corporation, limited liability company, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, or voluntary association, register your company first with the Secretary of State and then with the State Tax Department.